
This Wednesday night is "Hexennacht" or Witches Night. Wierd things happen the night of April 30th. It's a custom mainly for children and teenagers to play tricks on neighbors. Some tricks include ringing doorbells and running, putting mustard or toothpaste on door handles, hide floor mats and trash cans, remove garden gates and wrap various items in toilet paper. There are also destructive things done like removing street signs, manhole covers and uprooting flowers.
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when we wake up Thursday. We're well liked I think in the village so we're hoping we're not a huge target for mean things.
Friends we know had their patio furniture moved down the the center of the village at the fire station where on Thursday they have a huge celebration for May day. The furniture was all set up for the party! Everyone had to pick their stuff up after the celebrating had finished.
We're just heavily warned to move flower pots inside or to the back yard, garbages to the back and ANYTHING that can be picked up to be hidden. I don't want to search the village for my door mat nor do I want to end up looking for my garbage's. They have fun celebrations in Europe, this one I'm really looking forward to! I just have to think of something to do to my neighbors. Hee Hee!
5 comments:
How fun is that!! let us know what happnes to you guys, and if you get to play any good tricks on your neighbors. How fun
Sounds like a day to watch your back! So it's kind of like April Fool's but a little more intense? Crazy hope you all have a great time!
Yes, like April fools but more intense! They also say not to walk on the sidewalks in certain villages because you could get a water balloon at you!
Is it the 30th there, yet? I want to know what happened!
Tonight is the night, so it's your Wednesday afternoon. I'll update after the event.
Post a Comment