Sunday, 26 October 2008

A Primary Program to Remember


Today at church was our annual Primary Program. For those who aren't familiar with the program, it's where the children ages 4-11 do an hour long program where they give talks and sing songs they've learned through the year. Each month the children learned a new song which took a lot of practice and repetition. They've learned 8 songs and then each of them had a small talking part. I'm the chorister and have enjoyed working with them this year.
So, we load in the van and head to church. Lauryn gets out and says "my tummy hurts!" I ask the regular questions which are "do you have to use the bathroom, and are you going to throw up?" She said she wanted to use the bathroom and we headed in. We had arrived early to get things in order. She walked around then came and laid down on the bench. When it was time for the kids to go up on the stand, she didn't want to, she was not feeling good. No problem...she just laid there!
Half way through she was wanting to go up and join her friends, she said she was feeling better. She had color back in her face, I said sure...after the song. We had about 4 families sing a song called "Home" which we were involved in. We headed to the stand and on verse 2 she said she was not feeling good. She went to lay back down, we finished the song and I headed back to row 2 to sit next to her and lead the music. As I walked to the row she threw up! She was laying down so it all went on the bench, down her and on the floor. I started to scramble like a chicken with the head cut off. I grabbed her up and handed her to Mike who had no idea what the heck was happening. HE quickly walked her to the side exit on the other side of the chapel. Thankfully she didn't throw up as he carried her out.
Wonderful friends ran out to grab napkins and cleaner and then proceeded to scrape the bench clean. I was quite embarrassed and felt terrible that this had happened. My kids Don't barf in church! :-)As I sat there leading the songs, I kept getting wiffs of the bench nearby, it was SICK!
We headed home after it was over and made it 3/4 of the way before I hear a weak "mom". AHHHHHH!!!! I start yelling for the girls to help her get the bag to barf in. I'm going almost 90 trying to get to the nearest exit as she misses the bag because it had gotten to dirty to hold open. For those that know me, I'm a gagger. I don't take bad smells at ALL! In between my gags I start laughing to myself thinking "this isn't happening!" We get to a Shell station, I help her out and we walk inside with puke down the front of her and in her hair. I left the kids in the van, one was holding the seat belt so it didn't coil all the way back into the chair with goop on it, one was crying afraid that he'd get barfed on while sitting next to her,and one was feeling quite sorry for Lauryn.
We washed up as best as we could, took her dress off in the van and headed to the base to rent a rug doctor so we could clean up when we got home.
I forgot to mention that Mike had to stay after at church so he wasn't involved in the chaos. It's a good thing because he would've been flying around the van with no real purpose besides trying to keep it clean.
We've cleaned the rugs, wiped down seats and are all tucked in ready to go to bed. Who knows what this night will bring. All I know is I'm TIRED and ready for bed. Besides this minor event, the program was absolutely wonderful. The testimonies shared by these sweet children through their words and music was beautiful.
We're off to bed and will see if the sleeping beauty will awake with tummy grumbles. Heaven help us!

16 comments:

N Godown said...

OH! That is so sad! What a great girl she is to still want to get up and sing...even though she felt sick. I hope the rest of your family doesn't get it! GET WELL SOON LAUREN!

Jill said...

Poor thing! That is so sad. And I'm a gagger too, I don't handle smells well. Good luck with that. I hope she feels better!!!

Joanna said...

hey - at least it's over and you can relax (maybe?). i hope lauryn feels better tomorrow. the biggest event at our primary program today was a kid sobbing and another sang really loud (and somewhat off-key). but all very cute. good job keeping it all together today! :)

Marie said...

Oh I hope she feels better! I heard the program was excellent and the kid did a good job. I am sad I missed it. :(

Angela said...

I don't think most of us even noticed while it was happening! You are so great to hold it together. Gagging and driving! :)

Hope she's feeling better today!

Krista said...

Oh, the joys of motherhood! I know those scenes all too well thanks to Niki. I am so sorry that had to add to the activity of the program. And I am sure the program still was wonderful. I hope it is just the 24 hour flu bug I heard is going around. Niki is home now too. Thanks again for stopping by the hosptial. Niki loved all the fun things and I appreciated an adult to talk with! You are a wonderful person!

Leslie said...

Traci, like I said yesterday, "Classic". Really at that point all you can do is laugh and write it down in the history books. Hope she is doing better and that the sickness doesn't spread through all of you! Good Luck!

Denise said...

My big fear is public vomiting! Just think...in a few years you will laugh about this! Hope you feel better soon Lauren!

Jenny Roberts said...

Classic. I am sorry that she was sick and you guys had to go through all that. However, it sounds a lot like the same bug that is going around here. Get well soon.

The Heiner's said...

Oh Traci! You poor things! There's nothing worse than puking. I hate it! Poor Lauryn! I hope she's better today. I too, am a gagger! Well more of a puker, if I see anybody else puke, Im right with them. Thank goodness for Jason. He has always cleaned up my kids barf cause Im in the back ground dry heaving! Hehehe!

Anonymous said...

Poor Lauryn!!! What a way to leave a church calling Traci, you go out with a bang!!! Hope no one else gets it. I remember a time when one of your siblings got sick and you lost it too. I had double duty cleanning up the mess, the joys of parenthood. Hang in there.

Tina ♥ said...

Hey Traci,
Yes I remember you guys! Thanks for saying hi! It was fun to see how you guys are doing! Very cute family. Looks like you guys are having lots of adventures. Sorry about the tummy troubles, that's the worst!
Tina

Anonymous said...

Disgusting! That is a program you guys will never forget. Hope she's feeling better!

Elaine said...

Yes, it really will be a Primary program to remember. This is the stuff family legends are made of! I miss your family and love reading your blog to stay updated. Sorry about your trip to Arizona being canceled. )o:

The Stromberg Epic said...

Oh my goodness. I do not look forward to those days. I hope Lauryn is better and no one else has become ill.

Maggie said...

Oh Traci, that would be awful. I play the piano for primary so I could just imagine if that was me. I would die. What an adventure. I could picture you gagging, yuck.

Our Travel Map