We landed in Germany and began this journey. We have loved almost every minute of it.
The only time I wanted to give up was when we arrived to our hotel and didn't know what the heck to do. We didn't have a car, license, nor did we have a kitchen in the hotel.
We knew a couple people from email, but that was it. We felt helpless but knew everything would work out. The most pitiful part was Sunday (2 days after we arrived) we had gone to church but afterwards, we found ourselves back at the hotel with nothing to eat. Well, we did have cold cereal and a can of refried beans. So, we walked around to find a restaurant to eat at. Who knew Germany closed down on Sundays??? If it couldn't get any worse, it started to rain on us as we were out walking. We found a hotel that had a restaurant attached. We were thankful they were open and ate a wonderful dinner there. We knew we were supposed to be in Germany, we just had our doubts on those few days. We looked up the chaplain in the phone book to find out when church was. The amazing thing was that out of the day, the LDS chaplain had phone duty for 2 hours. And, we happened to call during his duty and directed us to the right people to get us to church. We've heard that the other chaplains have a hard time "locating" the LDS church leaders. They forget that the church is in the community and has been for what...50 years!
From that point on, we haven't looked back. We've fit right into this community. We absolutely love it here and the people. We love our ward and have made many friends. We've traveled a bit and look forward to traveling much more.
We look forward to another 2-3 more eventful years!!!
We miss and love our family and friends back in the states. We are thankful for your thoughts and prayers on our behalf.
10 comments:
(insert beautiful music) I miss you like craaaazy, I miss you traciiiii!!! Can't believe its been that long! Miss you!!
Ok, I'm singing the song now too... I miss you like crazy, ever since you went away, every hour of every day....
But I don't miss you every hour, just once in awhile. Hee Hee!
Or, only when you talk about Neds Crazy subs, do I really miss you. :-)
Nuts that its already been a year. You guys have done so much already. I'm living vicariously through your adventures, while staying here in the nasty heat of AZ. Miss your girly! Can't wait to catch up at Neds when you FINALLY get back!
~sniff sniff~ hang on let me wipe my tears...~sigh~ haha! The kids and I miss you too! The only reason I know its been exactly on year is because YOU LEFT ME ON MY B-DAY LAST YEAR!!! Waaaa! :-)
Well I am glad that you have been here a year. You have an awesome family and we need you here!!!
So, I have seen great growth in you and your family since you have been gone. I know that it was a test of faith for your sweet family to make such a huge move. I feel your inner strength and desire for adventure and know that making the choice to go to Germany would pull your family even more closer together and also create more avenues of service in so many areas. The children seem to be thriving, the ward needs you, etc. So, my heart is tender as I reflect on my needs of seeing you, and holding my grandchildren close, yet, I know what joys you are experiencing and the growth that needs to occure on all of our parts and so I will say I love you so much and will talk to you soon.
I would have never guessed about your first days in Germany, but there are cultural shocking things, for sure. I am glad you love our ward, me too!
That's so neat Traci! That you love it there, and are willing to do something so different and new to you, for your family. I HATE change! I would have been miserable. You make it sound easy! I always ask Heather how you're doing. So nice to keep in touch through your blog though. I love your stories and little adventures you go on. I live vicariously through you too! Love ya!
Andi
I can't believe you have been there a year! I bet it has flown by, seeing as you all are always doing something fun!
Thanks for teaching me how to add a link! I fixed my Olan Mills Photography thing! There is so much to learn about computers...and so little time!
Oh ya. . . acclimating to a foreign country! Major change, just look at it this way, no other move from here on out will be as "foreign" even if you go somewhere else overseas, well except maybe anywhere in Asia?! Hopefully we will run into each other here pretty soon, summer months are crazy.
Post a Comment