Friday, 20 March 2009

The Vatican

Visiting The Vatican City was by far the most interesting and fun thing we did. I think what made it great was booking a tour guide to take us around. We were in a group of about 30, our guide was an art major. This is us standing outside St. Peter's Basilica.
We couldn't take pictures inside the Sistine Chapel. The ceiling inside was painted between 1508-1512 by Michelangelo. Again, thanks to the tour guide she broke down piece by piece the artwork in the ceiling. There are many famous scenes including the creation of Adam where God and Adam are almost touching fingers. I LOVED the history behind the paintings and learning about what he went through while painting. I can't imagine painting a ceiling day after day.
The window directly under the triangle point of the roof is the balcony where the newly elected Pope will stand. The white awning is where he stands and does his Wednesday morning Mass. He was in Africa during our visit so we didn't get to attend. Bum deal, it would've been fun to attend and see what it was about. (not that I'd understand a word)
Walking around the enormous area outside. The large building is where he lives. He can be seen often standing out the window the top row, 2nd one from the right.

Inside the enormous St. Peter's. The dome was designed by Michelangelo. This church can hold 60, 000 people. It is the most prominent building inside the city. It was beautiful but I can't say I felt a reverent spirit about it. I went into the prayer room where there was a large golden statue. It was beautiful and I know for those faithful Catholic people, praying in this room was probably a life long dream. It just missed the spirit and simple atmosphere.
This is where the Tomb of The Apostle Peter is supposedly burried. It's under the large golden thing. (I can't think of words, I've spent too long here uploading pictures)

Michelangelo's beautiful Pieta is seen here. The sculpture depicts the Virgin Mary cradling Jesus in her lap after the crucifixion, and was completed when Michelangelo was just 24. After it was vandalized with an axe in 1972, the sculpture was placed behind protective glass. You can see the fingers on her right hand are missing from the attack.
This is the Emperor Nero's personal bath. It's located inside the Vatican Museum. This thing was HUGE! I would love to have a bath that size. I wonder how often it was used?
This is the famous sculpture Laocoon and his Son's also inside the museum. Check out the link, it'll tell you about the sculpture.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Beautiful pictures and great information. Now I know what I missed by not getting a guide!

Carly said...

i want to live with you can i ??

Yaz said...

Wow, that brings back memories. We miss living in Europe!

Our Travel Map