Friday, 17 April 2009

Our trip to Tuscany

What an awesome week we had in Tuscany. Every day was filled with a new adventure. We got lost a lot, ate a lot of gelato, enjoyed A LOT of sunshine, smiled a lot and Drove A LOT!
IT's by far my favorite trip. We found the people to be very nice and when they knew we didn't speak Italian, they kept on a talkin. We just smiled and nodded back. We began to flounder a bit trying to communicate. Some of the words sound like Spanish so we'd try to throw out anything we thought was similar to get our point across.
The countryside was absolutely beautiful. Rolling hills full of olive trees, flowers in bloom and did I say we got to see the sun??? Here are some of the highlights of the trip.




A view over looking Florence


Scooters rule the streest in Italy. They zoom in and out of traffic, it's crazy.
A street performer was standing like a manequin outside the Uffizi Gallery. When the girls threw a coin into his basket, he came to life. Back to the gallery, you can't take pictures inside but we did brave the 90 minute line to get in just to see some of the most famous Italian artwork including Michaleangelo, Leonardo, and Boticelli just to name a few. It was awesome to see many of the pieces I've seen in books. We spent about 90 minutes inside as it was closing time.


One day we visited some of the Tuscan hill towns. I wanted to visit Volterra because it had been made popular in the Twilight books. This town is famous for its alabaster production.

Ooooops, this picture is out of place but I am not going to mess with what I've already written. This is a famous bridge in Florence. It's called the Ponte Vecchio. It's lined with shops selling a lot of jewlery.

Back to Volterra, this is a picture that looks out over some of the houses. After visiting the website wikipedia, we noticed the picture Mike took was similar to what is on the website. The sky was quite hazy during our visit. It would've been fun to get some clear shots, maybe we'll have to go back?

Lauryn had been enjoying flower sniffing...can you tell?

The entrance into the city area
Another Hill town is San Gimagnano which has been made famous for its medival architecture especially its towers. It has 14 remaining of the 60+ it used to have.

Fun walkways like this were in every city we visited.


The countryside was beautiful
The following pictures are out of chronological order. We spent one day hiking the Cinque Terre .
The water enjoyment was at the end of our hike....
The water was FREEZING! Our kids and a couple others were the only ones in the water. There were lots of sunbathers, not many in the water.

The Cinque Terre is a rugged region along the coast of the Italian Riviera. Cinque Terre means 5 lands. Each of these towns is connected by hiking trails. You can spend the day hiking from town to town or take a train that connects you to each town. It takes roughly 5 hours to do the entire hike. We chose to walk from town 1-2 then took the train to town 4 where we hiked to the 5th town. We had been warned that the hike was a 90 minute "tretcherous" path. I think I sorta forgot that Rick Steves (travel guro) had said it was the hardest of the walks, not the best for kids. Oh well, right? I didn't think it would be too hard, plus I wanted to work for the final reward which was reaching the beach. Let me set the scene for each of the hikes. The ocean is to your left, you hike through fields of flowers, lemon trees, olive trees, and other vegitation. Some parts you enter peoples gates and walk through their property. It truly is a remarkable trail. By hiking, I'm not talking scaling rocks and such. This hike was more walking along narrow curves, stepping up and down on flat rocks. It was hard because there were a LOT of these steps to go down. I was hot, we didn't have a lot of water and in the end, I wish I would've taken the train. But, we didn't and have a story to tell! The leg muscles were very sore the next day. Ouch!
This picture was fun because of the little cat sleeping in the basket.

The sunset was beautiful


If we would've played in the water every day without any other activity, the kids would've been happy.


This is taken in Pescia. We stayed in Aramo which is a suberb of Pescia. The river flows through the town.

I love this picture of Dallin. He's concentrating hard on skipping his rock.


Both of them are skipping rocks.
This is marble in Carrara. We took a side trip to visit the mines to see where Michaelangelo got his marble from. We were able to take a tour inside. It was amazing to see how much marble was in the mountains. It also made seeing the marble inside the museums that much more interesting. We knew where it had come from!


This is the piazza (plaza) in Pescia. It looks very similar to others we saw.

Enjoying gelato...

Maybe Dallin's face was dirty because he bit the bottom of the cone?

Pisa




This is a picture taken from our bedroom window. There were a lot of castles around the countryside.
This is the walkway that leads up to our door. It's at the top of the stairs. We didn't know that we were staying in the castle. The kids had a lot of fun running


If you click on the picture, you can see a towel hanging out a window. That's one of the windows of where we stayed.
Beginning our journey, we got stuck in major traffic in Switzerland. It wasn't such a bad thing, the kids got out and ran around the autobahn. It was quite a site to see everyone out and about. The view was gorgeous too.

15 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

Fantastic! I was looking at it with Emma and she said, "Hey, there's a Little Einstein's where they have to go to that tower!" That means you're pretty cool in her book--mine too!

kathee said...

Wow, I am so jealous!! That is definitely somewhere I want to visit. I love reading about all your cool trips!!

Smith Family said...

We are very blessed to be able to travel like we do. We are truly enjoying our time here.

M Evans said...

Im so jealous of all your wonderful family outings and the experiences you guys are having! Thanks for letting me peek in at your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the opportunity to see these beautiful places. Thank you for taking the time to post them!! I hope you are writing this down so that you have a place you can go to when you want to relive these beautiful memories.

The Heiner's said...

Wow! I can't get over the places you get to visit Traci! You are one lucky woman. You look great too, by the way. You're trip looked like a blast.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Great pictures! Your family is so cute!

Leslie said...

I'm so glad your trip went well. You really packed it in. I want to go back to do Cinque Terra!

Angie and Jerome said...

I found your blog! Now I can keep tabs on Lauryn when she's not in our Sunday school class...mwa ha ha! Looks like you guys had a blast! We're so glad that you made it back safe as well. (you had us worried!) Your 2 birthday girls were just raving about the gelato in primary, how it's sooo much better than American ice cream. Lol!

Sarah said...

What an incredible trip! Fun to see your cute family!

Sarah said...

Just saw Joe and Shauna on Friday @ my mom's birthday party. They look great as always! Fun to see them.

Krista said...

Man you packed a LOT in! I love Italy too. Can't beleive they got into the water at Cinque Terra!

Denise said...

That is so awesome! Your kids look like the time of their lives, and so do you and Mike! I am so jealous! How much longer are you guys there?

Smith Family said...

We are here for another year, we'll try to extend an extra year though. We won't find out until this July what our options are.

kristine said...

Beautiful!!! And FUN!!! I am so glad you got to go.. I only wish I was there with you!!

Our Travel Map